Monday, April 28, 2014

Five Favorite TV Shows For the Sensitive Child

My son and I are both wimps when it comes to movies...and tv...and books. My husband is kind of sensitive too so we rarely watch anything that isn't a comedy. To be honest I think a lot of people, especially children, are more sensitive than we think we are. It doesn't even have to be a violent movie that leaves you shaky for hours. TV shows with a lot of noise, quickly changing scenes, or hyper characters can leave my children behaving the same way. Children also tend to be sensitive to themes of shows, which is why I try to avoid shows that have siblings that don't get along, or main characters that have a negative attitude towards school. It may seem a bit hyperbolic to do that (although studies have been shown that TV does lead directly to negative attitudes towards those things) but I really feel like I'm helping my children develop a set of ideas that their life will later reinforce.

So here are our favorite TV shows:

Kipper



The Hive



Little Bear



The Magic School Bus



Martha Speaks


and even though it brings me up to 6, I have to include this one too!



Let me know any of your favorites! All of these shows are available on Netflix or PBS. And thanks to MoxieWife for the linkup!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent list! I completely agree (have never actually seen the Anne series ~ will need to seek that one out); and would add Stella & Sam; we watch on Sprout and is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete