Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Homeschooling Day Three

Don't worry! I'm not going to post every single day on here!

I'm mostly trying to get things going this first week or two before I'll start just posting BIG ideas, crafts and experiments and things, as suggestions. Maybe the occasional short post about how things are going. Like I said, right now, I'm just trying to get things together and most importantly KEEP THINGS ORGANIZED.

I feel like my failure with a lot of things is my tendency to slack off and think "I don't need to write that down"....."I don't need to put that in the right folder"....aaaand then all of a sudden I've forgotten what I have and haven't done or what I wanted to do and everything gets all higgely piggely.

Anyway

On Day three we started talking about Rivers, which we will continue to do for the next two weeks or so.


  • We did all of the typical things on the computer.
  • However, we did decide to read Danny and the Dinosaur instead or rereading Bedtime for Frances like we were supposed to. As usual, she wrote a synopsis and answered a few questions like "What was your favorite funny thing that the dinosaur did?"
  • Our big project for the day was to go to Sebald, take a hike to our favorite beach, and dig out rivers and bays and lakes using only buckets of water and a water pail. We're talking about erosion and how water shapes the land.


An absolutely beautiful day. And we were lucky to enjoy it!



  • The creek here has many huge exposed cliffs. Perfect for talking about how powerful water can be.
  • After we got home we watched a Magic School Bus episode on water erosion. It mentioned how it's not just the pressure of water but all of the little dirt particles that erode and smooth things.
  • We also checked on our water cups and surprise of all surprises the cup in the cupboard is evaporating faster! My daughter thought this may have something to do with the temperature in the cupboard but when we took their temperature, they were the same. I think we just uncovered a mystery!


I have to say I am really pleased with the progress both of my children are making...already! I have seen a noticeable difference in how confident my daughter is in reading, or attempting to read, anything and everything she sees. She's even starting to read the instructions on her worksheets, and is able to "sight read" a lot of words I know she doesn't know. Reading is starting to become second nature to her. Even my son is getting better at recognizing sounds and letters, and both of them are really sharp when it comes to making hypotheses and exploring during our experiments. I don't think I could be happier with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment